1. Computing

Amazon.com Says: Why Pay For a Cell Phone When They Can Pay You?

By June 18, 2008

The Amazon.com logo
Image © Amazon.com, Inc.
Whatís better than free? How about when you buy something and they pay you?

In the world of cell phones where most of the money comes from recurring service plans and companies often take a hit on the sales of actual handsets, vendors are always creatively trying to sell you to take the cell phone leap.

Amazon.com on Wednesday announced various AT&T cell phones for free and some that even pay you to buy them. These, of course, require the commitment of a service plan (yes, thatís the catch). In no particular order, here are Amazon.comís eight hottest AT&T deals:
  1. Motorola RAZR2 V9 Phone: -$25.01 after rebates
  2. Pantech C810 Duo Smartphone: -$49.99 after rebates
  3. BlackBerry Curve 8310 Smartphone Titanium: -$74.99 after rebates
  4. BlackBerry Curve 8310 Smartphone Red: -$74.99 after rebates
  5. Samsung Blackjack II Black Smartphone: -$49.99 after rebates
  6. Samsung Blackjack II Red Wine Smartphone: -$49.99 after rebates
  7. Motorola MOTO Z9 Red Phone: Free after rebates
  8. Motorola Q Global Smartphone: Free after rebates
In addition, LetsTalk.com also offers many phones for free or with money back when purchasing a service contract.
Comments
June 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm
(1) Nicollet says:

I use my Trac Phone for emergencies ONLY. I have 500 minutes that’ll expire July 9th. I just want to find a company that will roll over my unused minutes. Is there such a company???

June 19, 2008 at 9:37 am
(2) alph says:

AT&T

June 19, 2008 at 5:06 pm
(3) thomas McIntyre says:

Let’s Talk is a scam.
They will never, never send you a rebate check.
Their system is designed to be very confusing, but even if you do it all right you will never get paid.
The window for a rebate begins months after you buy the phone and is of short duration.
They will claim not to have received your paperwork no matter how often you send it.
They told me to fax the forms (about the fourth or fifth attempt) and then could not tell me if the fax arrived, claiming that the fax machine was in another facility, a facility that amazingly had “only a fax line, no voice phones at all!”
I called ATT to cancel for cause and ATT credited my account the $300 rebate amount.
Do not buy from these bums.

June 19, 2008 at 5:25 pm
(4) Anonymous says:

Thomas: Interesting and sorry to hear that. Do you know if there are many other documented cases about this from LetsTalk.com customers or did you perhaps just have a bad run in with them?

June 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(5) hal says:

Thomas, you couldnt be more right on about ATT, them bastards did me in a plan they offered for unlimited internet, i got the plan, they were trying them after they got ya hooked to switch ya to other plans, what they did with me is just this, they cancelled and without telling put me back on a plan that had limited minutes, oh ya. them SOB’s will get you everytime, and when i caught them, they said i was wrong and that i in fact had cancelled, oh ya. they said after all that, that i owed them money, oh ya, for not having unlimited and for the minutes i was over.
Problem is now, i have them for my CELL, the sonofaB”S bought out cingular!

August 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(6) Momma R says:

AT&T also renegged on a rebate I was promised for signing up for their DSL plan. When I called they said I had to wait until my payment plan was finished and then when I talked to them they said it was too late and that the service rep. had never done any paperwork.

September 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm
(7) Francine says:

Does anyone have any experience with Cricket cell phones and service?