1. Computing
With the ever-growing popularity of cell phones and the ever-stagnating use of landline phones at home, this FAQ article is in response to a prescient question just submitted by About.com cell phones reader TTB. TTB asked:
Hi, Adam. Iím thinking Iíll cancel my landline phone service with Verizon and start to use my cell phone exclusively.

My high-speed Internet comes through cable, so the only thing I use the landline for is local calls. Is there a reason why I should not cancel the landline?
As there are several factors to consider when pondering this question and ultimately everyoneís situation is unique, Iíve outlined a helpful thought process in this new FAQ article.

Also, below is a poll to gauge if youíre considering this switch, wouldnít do it or already have.

Comments
July 28, 2008 at 6:27 pm
(1) Debbie says:

I would love to dump the land line, but unfortunately I get almost no reception on my cell phone when I am at home. There are a few spots in my yard where I can go on a clear day, and maybe get 3 bars if I stay still. I live right near Fort Dix, and I’ve been told that the army uses some kind of blocking signal that affects cell phones. Not sure if that’s true, but neither AT&T or Verizon have worked in my house so far. Guess I’m stuck with the land line.

July 28, 2008 at 6:50 pm
(2) Randall says:

Hmmm… drop a system where incoming calls are part of the basic service for one where I’m charged by the minute for them? Let me think.

When are Americans going to wake up and stop letting big business mess them around so much?

July 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm
(3) cellphones says:

Many plans these days no longer charge by the minute.

July 28, 2008 at 7:16 pm
(4) Deb says:

I switched to pure cell phone a few years ago and love it! I carry over unused minutes and have more than I could ever use saved up. It costs me less for long distance, and it even worked for buzzing the front door when I had an apartment. Cell phone all the way baby!

July 28, 2008 at 7:48 pm
(5) Kori says:

I haven’t had a landline for over four years. I just use my cell phone. My monthly charges are less than my old home phone used to be and I have free long distance.

July 28, 2008 at 7:55 pm
(6) Keith says:

I guess I’m not ready to give up the security of a hard line that doesn’t rely on electricity for power. Plus, there’s not one central number when you have a family.

July 28, 2008 at 8:02 pm
(7) Susan Adcox says:

My son has only a cell phone, and it seems to work for him. I’m hopeless when it comes to keeping mine charged and keeping it on my body, so I’m not planning to make the change. If you have a minimal cell phone plan, as I do, and do most of your long distance on your cell so that your land line is cheap, I think you come out about as cheaply as if you have a cell phone plan with all the bells and whistles.

July 28, 2008 at 9:07 pm
(8) Stu says:

I am thinking of getting rid of my landline, which I have had for almost 20 years. I called Verizon, asking if possible I could have 2 numbers on my cell, land line and cell number, I got a NO. I worry about people who have my land line number being able to reach me. I figure I buy maybe 2 more batteries for my cell and make sure they are charged once in a while, I do have 1 extra Razor phone I don’t use any more if worst comes to worst, plus perhaps a replacement at the right time, might be cheaper than the $456.00 a year I am paying for service now I never use.

July 28, 2008 at 9:09 pm
(9) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

I haven’t used my land line in almost 2 months because i’ve been away from home. I do use the fax frequently for my other buisness so I’ve keep paying the bill.

July 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm
(10) Jessica Harlan says:

I love the idea in theory, but I am on the phone a lot for work (and I work from home) and I just don’t feel like cell phone conversations are as clear and easy to follow as those on a land-line phone.

July 28, 2008 at 11:22 pm
(11) Kallie says:

I have done it in the past, and plan to again starting next month.

The only thing that is awkward about not having a land-line is that guests sometimes need to borrow the phone, and people seem to feel bashful about borrowing a cell phone in a way they wouldn’t about a “regular” phone.

I guess cells are more personal, somehow…

July 28, 2008 at 11:36 pm
(12) Danilo says:

Without a land line, the TiVo wouldn’t be able to download program updates and all.

July 29, 2008 at 2:53 am
(13) Elaine Lemm says:

My landline encountered severe problems this past weekend needing the engineers and several trucks out to fix the problem. In the meantime they diverted all incoming calls to my mobile phone and it was great. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot with that one. I now realise how handy it is to have just one phone!!!

July 29, 2008 at 10:18 am
(14) Marcia says:

TiVo! Of course! That’s worth the price of the land line.

I have three land lines – one for personal, one for business and one for fax. Yeah, it adds up. But I, too, never remember to charge the cell if I have it with me, or take it with me if it’s been charging. I wish I could do without the cell and its charges, but it was awfully handy to call my brothers with updates when Mom was having surgeries.

Marcia Purse
About.com Guide to Bipolar Disorder

July 30, 2008 at 4:44 pm
(15) Rod says:

One problem with cell phones is getting help in an emergency. Your cell phone may not be able to tell emergency services where you are the way a landline does.

Here’s a discussion of it on About.com: Before You Call 911 on a Cell Phone

August 4, 2008 at 9:02 am
(16) Doug says:

I dumped my landline phone two years ago. I have a high speed cable internet connection and replaced my landline with VOIP. I consider my cell a back-up alternative and the VOIP costs are about one third of my old landline.

August 5, 2008 at 8:21 am
(17) Alison says:

I haven’t had a land line since 1993 and never missed it! you plug in at night and it’s charged up when you are! They have GPS so emergance services can find you even when walking the dog! You can restrict GPS to emergances only. It even was my DSL line for my desk top at one time! My bill has never been as high as the land line. There is plans for any situation!

August 5, 2008 at 1:05 pm
(18) zenosf says:

I haven’t had a landline in years. Since maybe, I dunno, 2001. I’ve had the same cell number for almost a decade, and so everyone knows how to reach me. I have a landline at the office, and I think it’s the most annoying thing ever: a bunch of useless telemarketing calls and whatnot. If I could trust DSL, then I’d be willing to switch to VOIP only at the office.

January 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm
(19) Lawrence says:

I have used Tracfone only for a couple years. I do not receive many calls so phone is shut off most of the time. Works out great for me.
Use the yearly option for Tracfone. Transfer unused minutes to the next year.