Every decision you make – no matter how large or small – is an opportunity to make a difference. Celebrate Earth Day this month or any day by helping the environment from the friendly confines of your cell phone.
Here are 13 simple tips to easily turn your cell phone green.
1. Unplug Your Phone Charger When UnusedDid you know your phone’s charger still draws energy even when it’s not plugged into your phone? Unplug it when it’s not in use.
2. Minimize Your Phone’s BacklightIf your phone’s backlight is illuminated for longer than you need, you’re wasting energy. Reduce it so you’re only using what’s necessary. Your phone’s battery will thank you.
3. Power Off Your Phone EntirelyIf you’re in a movie, an airplane or somewhere else you know you can’t be reached, why not power off your phone? Just keeping it on vibrate uses its battery when you don’t need it. Your voicemails and texts will come later.
4. Use GPS Instead of DrivingIf your cell phone has the capability, use GPS navigation from your phone for directions to save driving time and gas.
5. Only Replace Your Phone When NecessaryDon’t buy a new phone until you need it. Recycle your old phone when you do.
6. Use Your Phone’s Alarm ClockChances are your phone has an alarm clock. Unplug and retire your traditional alarm clock at home and use your cell phone for this function instead.
7. Use Your Phone’s Backlight at NightBy your bed at night, use your phone’s backlight as your flashlight instead of a traditional night-light.
8. Only Charge Your Phone When NecessaryMany people are accustomed to charging their cell phones every night whether or not the battery has been depleted. To be less wasteful, don’t charge your phone until the battery really needs it.
9. Read News on Your PhoneIf your phone can, save paper by reading your news and magazine content from your cell phone.
10. Save Paper With Your PhoneYour phone can be used as a digital notepad of sorts. Instead of using paper, make cell phone lists by texting or emailing yourself.
Your Two Cents: Have a green comment or question? Chime in on the forums!