With a contract, the Rival is also an exceptionally affordable GPS cell phone with a quality battery and a backlit QWERTY keyboard. The phone comes in either purple or silver.
With a two-year Verizon Wireless service contract, the Motorola Rival A455 is priced affordably at $79.99.
- Pocket-friendly slider with QWERTY keyboard
- Text, picture, video and voice messaging with threaded messaging feature
- External touch dial pad
- 2-megapixel camera and camcorder
- Video capture and playback
- Visual voicemail
- Mobile broadband capable
- Full-keyboard backlighting
- Bilingual interface (English and Spanish)
- GPS and E911 enabled
- Mobile Web, mobile email and mobile instant messaging
- Music player (with playlists and the ability to sync music from your PC to phone)
- Up to 8 gigabytes of microSD optional removable memory
- Bluetooth short-range wireless (i.e. for a wireless headset)
- Resolution adjustment (1600x1200, 1280x960, 640x480 and 320x240)
- Dedicated camera and video key
- Self-timer (off and 3, 5 and 10 seconds)
- White balance (auto, sunny, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent and darkness)
- Color effects (normal, antique, black and white and negative)
- Fun frames
- Download games, ringtones and more
- One-touch access to text message composition, emoticons, symbols and IM or email
- Airplane mode
- Voice commands
- Embedded ringtones, vibrating alert and silent mode
- Stores up to 1,000 phonebook contacts
- Stores up to 500 text messages
- 3.5-millimeter headset jack
- TTY (for the deaf and hard of hearing) and OTA (over-the-air programming for software upgrades) capable
- M3/T3 hearing aid compatibility
- 2.2-inch display at 176x220 resolution with 65,000 colors
- SAR radiation rating: 1.59 W/kg (head) and 1.49 W/kg (body)
The standard battery on the Motorola Rival A455 impresses with up to 5.33 hours of rated talk time and up to a very long 21.25 days of standby time when not in use at all.
While 5.33 hours is close to making the About.com list of our best cell phone batteries, it doesn’t quite make the cut.
The Motorola Rival A455 measures in at 3.8 inches high by 2 inches wide by 0.71 of an inch thick. This does not make the About.com list of our best slim cell phones.
The Rival weighs in at a relatively heavy 4.4 ounces, which does not make the About.com list of our best lightweight cell phones.
Differentiation in the Marketplace
While the iPhone and Palm Pre, for example, feature threaded text messaging in a chat-like format, many other quick messaging cell phones do not.
The Motorola Rival A455 differentiates itself with this threaded messaging feature at a very affordable price for a full-featured cell phone.