Whether you're looking to back up your contact list, send text messages from your PC, or transfer video files to your phone, there's software out there that can help. Below is a list of cell phone software that can help you make the most out of your mobile phone. Some of these apps are free and some have free trials available. All of them work with a variety of cell phones.
* Any DVD Converter Professional: This $29.95 application (free trial available) lets you rip DVD movies to a variety of popular video formats. It also lets you convert video files for viewing on cell phones.
* Cell Phone Wallpaper Maker 2.5: This free application lets you create personalized wallpaper for your cell phone using your own image library. It helps you enhance and resize photos, and quickly transfer them to your phone.
* CellPC: This $20-a-year service lets you control your work or home PC from your cell phone. It allows you to shut down, restart, or log off of a PC remotely, and search for files on the computer and then send them to your PC.
* DataPilot: This $29.955 application lets you back up and manage the information from your cell phone on your computer. You can also use to it to create personalized ringtones and to connect to the Interent, using your cell phone as a modem. The manufacturer says that it works with more than 2,000 handsets.
* Free 3GP Video Converter: Another free app that lets you convert video files to the 3GP format that can be played on mobile phones. It also lets you convert video files recorded on your cell phone to a video format supported by your PC.
* Freez 3GP Video Converter: A free tool that lets you convert batches of video files to formats that can be played on mobile phones.
* MobiClient: A free software application that allows you to send text messages to any U.S.-based cell phone from your computer.
* MobTime Cell Phone Manager: This $20 application (free to try) lets you manage the contacts, calendars, and messages on your phone from your PC. You can use your computer to send and receive messages on your phone, manage your media files, and synchronize contacts and calendars. It is supposed to work with a variety of phones from LG, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, and others.
* TextMagic: A free e-mail-to-text messaging service that allows you to send and receive SMS messages via e-mail.