Your BlackBerry is an outstanding contact manager, and it's the perfect companion to the desktop software you store your contacts in. When you synchronize your BlackBerry with a desktop application, you ensure that your contacts list is always up to date, and create a backup in case your BlackBerry is damaged, lost or stolen. Follow these instructions to synchronize your BlackBerry contacts with your PC.
1. Install and Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager (Windows)
If you have not installed the current version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager, download it from RIM and install it on your PC. Once you have installed it, connect your BlackBerry to the PC via USB cable, and launch the application. Click on the Synchronize button on the Main menu.
2. Configure Synchronization Settings
Click on the Synchronization link under Configure on the Synchronize window’s left-hand menu. Click the Synchronization button.
3. Select Device Application
Click on the checkbox next to Address Book on the Intellisync Setup window, and then click OK.
4. Select a desktop application
Choose your Desktop Application on the Address Book Setup window, and then click Next.
5. Synchronization Options
Choose the Direction of synchronization that suits you best, and then click Next.
- If you want to synchronize contacts between your BlackBerry and your desktop application, choose Two way sync.
- If you want to copy contacts from your BlackBerry to your desktop application, choose One way sync from Device.
- If you want to copy contacts from your desktop application to your BlackBerry, choose One way sync to Device.
- If you choose either One way sync from Device or One way sync to Device you also have the option to Replace all data in the target application, which will overwrite all of the data at the destination, so be careful when you use it.
6. Microsoft Outlook options for Address Book
If you are using Microsoft Outlook, choose the Outlook profile that you want to synchronize your contacts with from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.
Click Finish on the Address Book Setup Finish window to save your settings, and then click OK on the Intellisync Setup window.
7. Synchronizing Your Contacts
Now that you have configured your contacts synchronization settings, click the Synchronize link on the left-hand menu. Click the Synchronize button (in the center of the window) to start the process. Desktop Manager will synchronize your contacts with your desktop application.
If there are any conflicts between your BlackBerry contacts and the contacts in your desktop application, the Desktop Manager will notify you of the contacts and help you resolve them. Once all of the conflicts have been resolved, your contacts synchronization with your desktop application is complete.